M-Files - General information
Enter the Name
of the new connection here. Underneath a Description
can be entered.
In REST Service URL
the URL enter your M-Files REST service. You can find the M-Files REST service URL
in your M-Files server installation. Usually, this consists of the host name of the M-Files server, the name of
the virtual directory of the M-Files Web Access application, then followed by the path /REST
for the REST service.
Installation of M-Files Web Access to its own virtual m-files
Installation of M-Files Web Access as a standard website:
Access to the M-Files REST service can also occur via SSL. In this case, the M-Files URL must start with https://
In advance of this, the SSL certificate must have been imported to the Intrexx certificate store.
In the area Authentication
the authentication method is defined.
You can choose between Basic
for authentication based off a user name and password,
to use Windows Integrated Authentication (single sign-on). For both of these authentication modes, an M-Files user and password must be specified.
This user is required to read the M-Files vault metadata structure and must therefore possess corresponding permissions in M-Files.
Windows Integrated Authentication
authentication mode enables you to implement single sign-on authentication in Windows domain environments. The following prerequisites must be fulfilled to use it:
- The Intrexx portal server must be run through the Microsoft Internet Information Server and be a member of a Windows domain.
- The Intrexx Portal Server must be configured for Windows Integrated Authentication and the users must be imported from the Active Directory.
- A Service Principal Name must be defined for the M-Files Web Access Internet Information Server.
- Single Sign On authentication must be active for the M-Files Web Access server. You can find more information on this topic in the M-Files documentation.
- For each Intrexx user who will access M-Files, a corresponding Windows Account User must exist in M-Files.
- The portal client workstations must be members of the same Windows domain as the Intrexx portal server and the M-Files Web Access server.
- Windows Integrated Authentication must be activated for the client browsers.
Once the requirements above are fulfilled, Single Sign On can be enabled in the General
dialog box of the M-Files configuration.
Select the Kerberos
mode under Authentication
. An M-Files user and password will
remain necessary in order to access the metadata. Now enter the SPN of the M-Files IIS
service to the Service Principal Name (SPN) field. This usually consists of the following:
http/<M-Files DNS name>
Replace <M-Files DNS Name>
fully qualified DNS host name of the M-Files Web Access server. The host name must be the same as the host name that was entered for the M-Files REST Service URL. Integrated authentication is activated automatically after saving the configuration.
If the configuration is successful, Intrexx portal users are automatically authenticated for M-Files when accessing M-Files files.